1. Sit in my pajamas until I go tutor in the afternoons -Reality: I have to shower and get dressed to be productive.
2. Work an hour or two and do what I want most of the day-Reality: I work anywhere from 12-16 hours a day (this is no exaggeration) during the week and on weekends I average 8 hours.
3. Copy and paste a post and get paid- Reality: Are there paid guest posts that I simply just have to put up? Yes, but even those take more work than most think. There are usually 5-10 emails going back and forth negotiating and then I often have to format the post in WordPress as well.
4. Most of my income is passive from ads-Reality: I make close to NOTHING on ads. I do not have Google Adsense ads where most people get their ad income. They banned my account at about $2 from the payout with no explanation (and as far as I know I did nothing wrong-no clicks etc.) and I am not even going to try to argue with their non-existent customer service.
5. Writing an article is easy-Reality: Most of my articles take time to research and I have to write them well. There are people who will write 400 words for $2 or $3, but I am offering quality and have to prove I have what it takes for what I charge. I can type 400 words in about 20 minutes, but most articles take me an average of 45 minutes with research, proofreading, and editing.
6. You are wasting your degree-Reality: I realize this doesn’t have to do with time per se, but this is a major pet peeve of mine. I get most of my work because I have an English degree to back it up (i.e. clients will pay more) and I tutor which requires my degree. For the record, my income is quite comparable to when I was teaching full-time and I don’t have to deal with school politics!